Urology Annals
About UA | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions | Online submissionLogin 
Urology Annals
  Editorial Board | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact
Users Online: 595   Home Print this page  Email this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2012  |  Volume : 4  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 102-105

Ureterovaginal fistulas: The role of endoscopy and a percutaneous approach


Department of Urology, King Fahad Hospital of the University, University of Dammam, Dammam, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Khalid M Al-Otaibi
Department of Urology, King Fahad Hospital of the University, University of Dammam, Dammam
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id


DOI: 10.4103/0974-7796.95556

PMID: 22629006

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: The aim of the study was to evaluate the minimal invasive approach and endourological techniques in managing the iatrogenic ureterovaginal fistula. The etiology and the diagnostic tools were also looked at. Patients and Methods: A retrospective study was conducted on 20 patients with ureterovaginal fistulas. The main causes for these were gynecological and obstetrical procedures. In all cases, the diagnosis was based on clinical presentation, intravenous pyelography, and cystoscopy. Various therapeutic methods were used. Eleven patients were treated by the endoscopic placement of a ureteral stent and 13 patients (including four with failed initial ureteral stent insertion) received ureteral reimplantation. Of these, two patients were treated by the Boari flap method, six by Psoas hitch, four by simple ureteric reimplant, and one by transureteroureterostomy. Results: Of the 11 patients treated by the endoscopic placement of a ureteral stent, 7 (64%) were successfully managed with this treatment alone. The remaining 4 (36%) also had open surgery. A total of 13 patients (including the 4 initially treated with endoscopic placement) underwent successful ureteric reimplantation. Routine cystoscopy revealed that 2 of the 20 patients (10%) had a concurrent vesicovaginal fistula. Conclusion: A ureterovaginal fistula is a rare but a relatively frequent complication of pelvic surgery. We recommend a minimal invasive approach including ureteric stent insertion as primary management and routine cystoscopy to rule out an association of a vesicovaginal fistula.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed4790    
    Printed149    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded491    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal