Urology Annals
About UA | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions | Online submissionLogin 
Urology Annals
  Editorial Board | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact
Users Online: 231   Home Print this page  Email this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 310-314

Comparison between the use of 99% ethanol and 3% polidocanol in percutaneous echoguided sclerotherapy treatment of simple renal cysts


Department of Urology, Arcispedale "S. Anna", Cona 44124, Ferrara, Italy

Correspondence Address:
Lucio Dell'Atti
Department of Urology, Arcispedale "S. Anna", Via A. Moro 8, Cona 44124, Ferrara
Italy
Login to access the Email id


DOI: 10.4103/0974-7796.152026

PMID: 26229316

Rights and Permissions

Aim: In this study, we compared and valued efficacy and safety of percutaneous echoguided sclerotherapy (PES) using 3% polidocanol with that using 99% ethanol in the treatment of patients with simple renal cysts. Materials and Methods: PES was performed for 65 simple renal cysts. Under ultrasonographic guidance the cyst was punctured using an 18 gauge needle. Sclerotherapy was performed with ethanol in 55% (36/65) of cases and with polidocanol in the remaining 45% (29/65). Patients were followed up with an ultrasound examination at 4 months, 8 months, and then at yearly intervals. A reduction of 50% or greater in cyst diameter was considered successful. Results: The median followup period for the ethanol and polidocanol groups was 24.6 and 22.8 months, respectively. The successful outcome ratio of the polidocanol group was significantly higher (90% vs. 61%, respectively) than the one of the ethanol group (P = 0.003). The partial regression of the ethanol and polidocanol groups were 6% versus 7%, respectively. The failure ratio of the polidocanol group was significantly lower (3% vs. 33%, respectively) than that of the ethanol group (P = 0.004). Neither infectious complications nor hyperthermia occurred in all treated cases. However, these methods are not completely free from symptoms. All these symptoms disappeared few hours after the procedure. Conclusions: Polidocanol is a safe and effective sclerosing agent for renal cysts, with superior clinical results than ethanol. Therefore, polidocanol can be an alternative to ethanol in sclerotherapy of renal cysts.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3155    
    Printed58    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded168    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal